The chemicals, fillers, fragrances, etc., in many mainstream washing
It takes about 5 minutes to get over the fact your clothes will smell less like a vanilla bean cross frangipani tree cross musk stick, and more like, ah, clothes.
There are so many reasons that I love using this washing powder recipe: the natural ingredients are superstars in the land of cleaning and washing, with grime-fighting, water-softening, stain-removing capabilities; one batch makes over 100 loads so the average person who does 5x loads a week will only need to make washing powder every 5-6 months; you’re washing machine is less likely to get slimy and gunky (only the companies who make fabric softener will tell you to use it. Washing machine manufacturers and repairmen will tell you it’s horrible stuff).
You’re convinced to give a whirl now, right?
Makes: 3.3 kg | 7.3 lb Prep time: < 5 min.
4 cups | 1040 g | 2.3 lb sodium carbonate (washing soda)
4 cups | 880 g | 1.9 lb borax
3 cups | 840 g | 1.9 lb fine salt
3 cups | 420 g | 14.8 oz fine soap powder (see recipe notes)
½ cup | 140 g | 4.9 oz sodium bicarbonate (bicarb)
2-3 drops of essential oils (optional, per use)
My choice of essential oils…
- Add all ingredients to a large bucket and mix until combined.
- Transfer into
If you’re using essential oils, add drops to 1 tablespoon of washing powder and add directly to
Want to ditch the borax?
While I am comfortable using natural borax for cleaning applications (check out this blog post), you might prefer to avoid it. If so, just leave it out – simple. I don’t notice a difference in cleaning results.
- I recommend sourcing the purest laundry soap you can find – check the ingredients panels and watch for fragrance especially. I use pure coconut soap
powder,or castile soap powder. If you are buying soap in a block, make sure it is milled to a very fine consistency.
- Less is more. Don’t go adding too much of this powder to your wash as it won’t make a difference. Occasionally you may need to spot treat stains, or soak clothing, but you would have to do that with regular commercial powders too.
- If your machine can only take liquid, check out my Liquid Laundry Detergent recipe.
- I trust that you will make the decision on whether this formula is suitable for your washing machine. I cannot take any responsibility if your washing machine doesn’t agree with this recipe.
- I strongly suggest you check out the blog posts under “Recommended Reading“.