If you haven’t heard of the term ‘
This recipe began as a powder. The tablet version was born after continual frustration from my husband and I, when using the powder version. It had a tendency of clumping together into a solid block, meaning we were hacking at it with a kni
Makes: 850 g | 30 oz Prep time: < 5 min.
300 g | 10.6 oz sodium carbonate (washing soda)
250 g | 8.8 oz citric acid
200 g | 7.1 oz borax
100 g | 3.5 oz fine salt
1-2 drops of essential oils (per use)
My choice of essential oils…
Extra equipment required…
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix until combined.
- Spoon mixture into
mouldsand press down firmly until full.
- Leave to set for 12-24 hours in a cool and dry place. After this time, turn
mouldsupside down and gently tap the bottom – tablets should fall out easily.
- Place on a tray or sheet of baking paper and leave to dry for a further 24 hours before storing in
Add essential oils (if using) to one tablet and place in the dispenser of your dishwasher prior to operation. Replace rinse aid with a ramekin of vinegar on
Want to ditch the borax?
While I am comfortable using natural borax for cleaning applications (check out this blog post), you might prefer to avoid it. If so, just leave it out – simple! Want to know a secret? The tablets set much better without borax anyway and I don’t notice a difference in cleaning results.
- Yes this recipe is a powder, with no liquid (there are no typos)
- Tablets may stick together, depending on how much moisture gets into your storage container. They should, however, come apart easily enough. If this really bothers you, line tablets on some baking paper and create layers.
- If you leave this completed recipe (the powder) in a container, it will solidify – so making tablets is best. If your dishwasher only takes
powder, either crush before use or throw on the floor of the dishwasher.
- Kmart has great ice-cube trays with silicone bottoms that allow you to pop tablets out easily.
- When removing tablets, do so over your dishwasher so any excess particles land in your dishwasher rather than wasted on the bench or floor!
- I trust that you will make the decision on whether this formula is suitable for your dishwasher. I cannot take any responsibility if your dishwasher doesn’t agree with this recipe.
- I strongly suggest you check out the blog posts under “Recommended Reading“.
Purchase Recipe Ingredients Here